iv Hansen shows us two creative ways to display these winning sports cupcakes - a cupcake tree or sports field turf.
To make sports field turf:
- Place coconut in zip-top plastic bag.
- Add a few drops of green food coloring.
- Close bag and knead coconut by hand until it turns green.
- Spread on a serving platter.
To make basketball cupcakes:
- Frost a cupcake with orange frosting, turning cupcake as you go to evenly coat.
- Using a pastry cone filled with chocolate frosting, pipe lines on the cupcake to look like seams on a basketball.
To make baseball cupcake:
- Frost a cupcake with white frosting.
- Pipe two arcs on top using the red frosting in a pastry cone.
- Pipe the stitches on each arc using chocolate icing. Press down as you start to squeeze frosting out and then lift up.
To make a tennis ball cupcakes:
- Frost cupcakes with “tennis ball” green frosting. Create this unique shade by mixing yellow food coloring into white frosting and then add green one drop at a time, until you get the color just right.
- Pipe two arcs with white frosting on top.
To make soccer ball cupcakes:
- Frost cupcakes with white frosting.
- Using the pastry cone filled with chocolate frosting, make a pentagon in the center of the cupcake and fill in with chocolate frosting. Make a line from each of the points of the pentagon out to the edge of the cupcake. At the edge of each of the lines, pipe and fill a triangle shape.
Place finished cupcakes in a cupcake tree or on top of the coconut "turf" on a serving platter.
Note: You can make these sports cupcakes and freeze them till you need them for up to two months.